Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Here we go...

I have been waiting until I could grab a camera before posting this info....but...as you know, cameras and I are not often found together:) Anyway, Brett got his driving permit a month ago. I have spent the last four (+) weeks teaching him to drive. Let's just say it has been a learning experience for BOTH of us! I guess I am old-fashioned. I think the way WE did it growing up was the correct way---take a class, drive with someone experienced at "teaching" you to drive THEN go get a permit! Wow! What a novel idea. Anyway, in South Carolina--it's not done that way. So once again, the Lord has challenged me in yet another area of my life--trusting Him! Brett is doing a great job, it's Mom that is lost as to how to teach beyond 35-40 mph road driving. We ventured out yesterday onto Hwy 25 coming from the Cliffs direction with 18-wheelers passing us on the left, when it hit me "Hey, you've never driven over 40 mph! Maybe we should pull over and put Mom back behind the wheel!" So TWO miles down the road--I took back the wheel. I felt like Carrie Underwood, "Jesus take the wheel!" I felt bad for Brett because I told him he could drive the rest of the trip back to Cherrydale. Do you ever make a commitment and wish you had been thinking clearer when you made it??? I reassured him that he did a great job, it's me that's not. So...we got home and called Auto Safe and Brett begins (and ends) all of his drivers' ed next week. We are excited because he will be with retired State Trooper King. I can't wait to hear Brett's stories each day. To be honest I think Brett is excited so that he might finally get to drive further than to work at Chick-fil-A and back home or to church and home. We'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

beth spray said...

wow! i am still floored that he is old enough to be driving! i am sure he will do great! hang in there mom - you can do it!!!

Shane H. said...

Wow, look at your blog gettin' all fancied up! Looks nice!! I can't ever begin to imagine teaching Garrett to drive in a few years. I agree with you.... take driver's ed then get a permit. I'm going to highly suggest that route! Tell Brett "Way to go!!"