Saturday, September 6, 2008

Last Sounds of Summer



When you think of summer, what are some sounds or smells that can take you right back to your childhood? I am a person that loves sounds and smells--they transport me to some great (and some bad) times. When I smell chestnuts trees (that awful Chlorox smell), I can remember my mom having headaches just from the smell. I also remember me sliding down a hill, by accident of course, on my bottom and hands supporting me as Chestnut "thorns" poked me--bad memories!! But then there are those wonderful sounds like the churn of an ice cream maker churning that wonderful homemade ice cream. Somehow, I let the summer of 2007 pass without one batch of homemade ice cream. I am sure for many of you this is an amazing surprise. But guess what...I almost let Summer 2008 slip by the same way. But last weekend, I was determined to not let that happen again! I got a recipe from Brianna Johnson (old Biltmore buddy!! and former high school pal) for Blueberry Cheesecake ice cream--YUMMY!!! Me and the kids loved it! Gene liked the taste. But he is used to me cooking my ice cream first and having more of a smoother texture. Anyway, it brought back great memories of Mom and her friend Judy churning vanilla ice cream with all the fixin's on the side like Mom's homemade freezer strawberry jelly--YUM!!

3 comments:

Paula Roberts said...

Think I would agree with Gene - smooth vanilla ice cream - can't beat it! I also remember those awful smelling chestnut trees. That smell reminds me of pulling weeds in the garden that sat underneath those stinky trees. Between the heat, the dirt and the smell ... whoo - glad I don't have to do that anymore! Glad you got to enjoy your ice cream!

Katie said...

That was the BeSt ice cream EvEr! (That is, in my opinion.)

beth spray said...

wasn't it amazing! bennett and i LOVED it!!! hope you are having a great weekend!! maybe we will get to g'ville soon!!!!